Sunday, July 24, 2011

Chapter One



It was amazing. Freaking Amazing. Well, not as amazing as it was weird. He was dead. President Snow was crushed by a horde of people.

My Grandfather is dead. But so was Coin.

When they saw him like that, slouched over, his mouth blood dripping off him, his right arm at an odd angle from being crushed by the swarm of people, they jumped into action. Katniss Everdeen was quick to be disposed of - first trying to kill herself, then being reassured or something by Peeta Mellark before being taken away. I watched as one of the Rebels commanded some soldiers to grab the girl, forcing her into the mansion. Even though the action is only five yards behind me I do not turn. I keep my eyes on the large screen, showing everyone in the capitol what had happened.

I ignore the tears in my eyes and pull my little brother into my side. He was now the only family I had left. Our parents had died years ago, a little after my brother Zione had been born six years ago. They had been going to District 2 for some needed vacation and the train derailed. They were killed instantly, so Grandpa had said. I chose to believe him. And despite initial doubts, we two went to live in his mansion. It was nice. Better than our old home. But he'd been the only person we had left, and now we only have each other.

Zione turned to look up at me. "Why are you crying?"

I blinked away the tears, ripping my eyes away from Katniss Everdeen being pulled away. "Sorry, I'm just so glad the fighting has stopped."

"The fighting hasnt," came a whisper in my ear. I turned and there stood, dressed in refugee clothes, Missikins Valentine - our grandfather's personal assistant. I glanced at her, then the horde of people moving this way and that. This was our way out.

For the passed month and a half we have been stuck in the same room. Two beds, a table, two chairs, a bathroom. Nothing special at all. This was where President Snow housed people about to be turned into Avoxes. And we were held captive. Zione and I got our meals, two a day. We got vitamens. We were supplied bland clothing and tolietteres. We were comfortable. But we had no clue what happened to other Capitolites. Missikins had been close to our Grandpa, therefor I thought she was killed. There were the generals and the strategists, the secretary of communications? I thought they all died.

But no, there was still a chance.

"We have to get you out," I turned towards the petite woman quickly, tugging Zione along with me. It was cold, but we were fortunate. Like the Capitol so often did with it's tributes, the Rebels had me and my little brown haired brother dressed up. Make-up was shovled on, clothing were placed to hide out bones that began to protrude. Furs, wools. We were kept warm. But Missikins had on only a small robe, and a nightie on underneithe. I averted my eyes and quickly took my jacket off. She thanked me before grabbing my hand.

I collected my brother, placing him gently on my hip, and followed the woman.

In the last few months, ever since the rebellion really hit home, people were refused treatments. No tattoos, no enhancements, no hair dyes. Nothing. Cold Turkey. For the children it was easier - we werent allowed to "Get Pretty" until we were 18. We were allowed the little things, piercings - within Capitol protocal - and new eye colors, hair dye - just not the extreme colors. Missikins actually had flaming red hair - she had supported Katniss Everdeen before this whole thing got out of hand. But it was fizzling down and her tattoos were dull.

Missikins lead us away from the surge of people, and when she made it to the back of the crowd, two more people joined her. i remembered them only vaguely from television programs. Military, but lower down than General Cheez or even Commander Fizziwald. I could tell by the way they looked severely malnurished yet Missikins still retained some of her form.

They followed two steps behind us as we made out way to an alley. I glanced on the big screen that they now had the Everdeen girl in the mansion, while my grandfather's limp body was being proded by rebel medics - checking if he was alive. tears sprung to my eyes and this time, without Zione watching me, I let them fall freely. We made it to the mouth of the alley when I heard Commander Paylor demand where I was. I heard terrified shouts from Capitolites as they were ripped from the crowd to check that they werent me in disguise. I didnt know I was so important.

Suddenly, within five yards of the underground passageway, an arrow flew by my head. I froze, but Missikins' face grew terrified and she yanked me forward by the collar. I heard a thud as one of the soldiers hit the ground, then a second just as Missikins threw open the latch. Then, as if in slow motion, the only woman role model I'd had for six years was gone in a flash of red. Her blood spattered my face and I staggered backwards. Behind me I heard the rebels approaching. And the door of the underground tunnels were thrown shut, locking against me. No use in it, because as soon as the attackers reached me, they started rolling into the tunnels, ready to exterminate.

That's when I let Zione fall from my arms. he landed on the ground with a hurt yelp, probably scratching something, and I lurched forward, bending over the red head.

I searched her face for any sign of life, but she was gone. I traced a finger over the tattoo above her eye, and I was just about to give her the customary good-bye kiss on the cheek when I was ripped away.

The person hauling me forward: Gale Hawthorne. I knew him from the rebels' programs, and from Katniss' family and friends introduction from her games. But I knew he wasnt her cousin. I knew better. Grandpa knew better. I heard Zione's calls for me from behind and I tried pulling away, if only to be with my brother. I tried kicking him, but even though his grip on me was tight, he wasnt supporting me. I would fall to the floor. But as i retaliated, his strength grew on my wrist and I started cringing with pain. When we approached the stage, and I knew I was on the big screen, I glared at him.

He didnt know what was coming until I spat. In front of everyone, I spat in his face. He wore a look of utter shock as Commander - or is she the President now - Paylor intructed me to be taken away. That's when I realized I had a brother and I started calling for him. They ignored me.

I was hauled through the mansion until I arrived at my old room. The one before all this happened. The large four poster, feather bed with bright pink sheets. I smiled and fell onto it, clutching for some memory scent. I held my pillow to my face, trying to take it in. I was there for a few minutes until I realized Zione wasnt here yet. I dashed to my window - which was now barred and bolted - and tried to search the stage, but he wasnt there. Grandpa was gone now too, all that was left was his blood, drying on the concrete stage.

Sighing that at least my little brother was out of the spotlight, I collapsed into my desk chair. My desk though, was empty. Everything, the picture books, the diary. My life was gone. It was now in Rebel hands.

Thats when I broke down, tears flowing even more than when we were running to the alley.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment so I know whether or not you all are out there!