Monday, July 25, 2011

Chapter Two






And I cried all night. Then all the next day. I had seen food, but had only taken a few tentive bites. They gave me wine, but it tasted like blood to me.

The salty tears only stopped when the door to my room was flung open. There stood Gale Hawthorne, in his battle gear, with four other soldiers. He looked at me expectantly before I turned tail and ran to my closet. At least my clothes were still there. They would give me shealter, if only for a minute.

I heard them dash after me and I had only just wormed into the back of the very large room when they started to randomly toss my darling clothes willynilly into my room, unable to fit into the tightly packed space. Knowing I had very few minutes left, I grabbed a Capitol dress - one from a year or two go, it fit snugly, but it was fine - that was flowery and to my knees, and stripped. I didnt want to go anywhere looking like a hag. I didnt want to die looking like one either.

I was dressed and sitting, back facing them, when they finally got to me. Two soldiers grabbed my elbows and heaved me to my feet and pulled me out of the closet. When Hawthorne saw me I watched a disgusted look come to his face at my clothing. I threw him just as a disdainful look.

"Hypocrite," I snapped and Gale rolled his eyes.

"Go to Hell," he replied.

I ignored him, going on. "You District Rebel idiots are so against the Capitol, you dont know how much alike we really are."

That made hime pause. I gave him a final glare ripping my hands free from the soldiers and walking calmly out my door. The young man approached me, a sneer on his face, "How, then, are we so alike, Miss Snow."

I turned, eying him from head to toe. "I doubt you people leave outfits like that just lying around. Tailored. And Katniss Everdeen. Every program you people threw out there, I watched, and hardly ever was she in average clothes. You people say you want freedom, well, look where that's got us!"

Glaring at each other, we were standing in the middle of the hall. A soldier pipped up behind Gale and the man roughly grabbed my arm, guilding me down the hall. To the indoor auditorium, where they always did the Hunger Games' Interviews. I knew this path by heart.

When we finally arrived, I was thrown into a pen-like structure behind stage. I gasped indignantly and started standing, what I met was totally unreal.

There stood all the children who frequented the mansion halls these passed few months. Their parents, or relatives were high up in the beat of things, so they relocated to the safest place every, the mansion.

They were all looking at me, almost glaring.

There stood Licorice Klide - daughter of Dr. Vex Klide, my grandfather's personal doctor. The last few months have been hard on Grandpa, but Klide was so unknown throughout Panem that no one thought he'd ever be suspected. They were wrong. I gave her a sorry glance before lowering my head. She was 18, turned just a month before the Rebellion. She had major hair extensions put in, tattooed her legs, and permenatly painted her lips red. I thought she looked gaunt, but she was on television that last week for one of the best make-overs. I dont know what she looked like before then.

Standing next to her, was another boy, about six feet tall, with shaggy blue hair - obviously 18 or older. He was wearing rags given to him by the Rebels, after they probably confiscated his clothing. Walter maybe. I know his father as the Head Peacekeeper in District 10 - the man relocated after 10 fell.

In Walter's shadow stood two girls, trying to act happy and cheery, but they obviously werent. I knew them as Water Dellingshire and Rhanona Shire, granddaughters of General Dellingshire and the Head Peacekeeper from 9, respectivly. Like Walter's father, the Shire family left 9 for the capitol soon after they lost control. Since they were so close in age, I told Water to look after Rhanona. They grew very close. But neither posed much of a threat, so they were left with their mothers in apartments next to the mansion. They were wearing matching bright orange dresses. I smiled at the sight and made my way over, only to trip over someone's outstretched legs.

Beneath me sat Fara Riggsby, donning the grey District 13 outfit. I heard her entire family had been kidnapped after her grandmother, General Atala Riggsby, blew up District 12. It showed too; her once luster brown hair was muddy and she had a bruised cheek. I would have stayed to console her, but her look told me she did not want me by her, so I continued on to the two little blrunettes sitting together.

When I sat down, none of us said a word and we just huddled. That's when I took in everyone else.

Across from me stood Brenanna Mannson - her uncle was a Military Strategist. She was combing out her long black hair. She was seventeen, so still hadnt been allowed to do anything dramatic, instead settling for growing it out until it passed her butt. Behind her stood Plaite Valentine, Missikins' own nephew. I looked away quickly from him. He took after her in so many ways. He was 18, but due to the shortage, had never altered himself.

Plaite had been talking to Kaulke Jacksbie and Shia Turmip - both of them native Capitolites like Plaite and I. Kaulke was the grandson of the Great Rae - the Strategist who figured out how to launch those mutts. Shia was the grandson of the Secretary of Communications. He had been on one of the teams trying to surpass Distric 13's program holds on us so many times. I didnt know what when were saying, but soon Shia groaned, ran a hand through his mini-mohalk, and turned away. I removed my gaze when he turned, so he wouldnt know I had been watching him.

There were more kids here, including some more of my fellow Capitolites. Herc Waltmix, the 14 year old singing genius related to THE Aphrodite Waltmix. He was her grandson, but she was pruning him to be the next big thing in the Capitol. Then the war hit, and she started 'rallying' the troops, songs to them, etc. I liked her music, but leaving Herc was stupid. He lost his will to sing after his grandma was killed. I felt bad for him, but turned to the last Capitol child: Ashton Cheez, the 12 year old grandson of General Cheez - the lead guy behind everything military related done in the Capitol. Ashton is a meek little boy, but smart enough. I actually looked up to him. He was in the corner thinking.

Unlike Eevaline Aanon, Clayre Hasbrowth, and Rose Minkston. Their dads and grandfather were the Head Peacekeepers of 11, 1, and 3 respectivly. They grew together after all three of them moved into the mansion when their Districts fell and their families fled. They were young, Eevaline was only 14, Clayre was 12, and Rose was 13. Too young to deal with rebellion, so they were all crying. I get that, they'd been pampered their entire lives. Now they were thrown into tiny rooms, with only District 13 clothing. Their brown hair (excluding Clayre, she had black) was a mop on their head and they looked tired. To keep from catching their own tears - I had two young girls at my side, willing me to be strong - I had to look towards Porter something and Minke Saint Ellismith.

They both lived in District 2 before this happened. Porter's dad was the Head Peacekeeper of 2 and Minke's uncle was the Head HEAD Peacekeeper, stationed in 2 because it's the capitol's military base. Minke's father was in the mountain when everything collapsed, the avalanche. Porter's dad made it out and took Minke's family to the capitol with him. By then school was done with, so I only know them through chatter in the halls and the streets of the Capitol.

As I was observing others I hadnt noticed three more boys be thrown into the mix - Snake Jennings, who was a hard, mean boy with a buzz cut. His granddad was a nasty Head Peacekeeper back in 7 and he and his parents got out just before the Rebel's killed Saffron Jennings. He came to the capitol and was quick to get the newly arrived Xander Fletcher (13) and Satose Dexter (12) to follow him around. Xander was a sweet boy on his own, but in the presence of his uncle - the Head of District 6 - or Snake, he was horrible. Beside the little blonde boy was the brown skinned Satose. He came two weeks after Snake and hardly got t know him before he was pulled into the 17 year old's cruelty.

Just when I turned my head away from the three others, I locked eyes with Princilla Thread. She was quick to avert her eyes. She wasnt as mean as Snake, but she was cold and independent. I only ever saw her hanging out with either Satin Gunner - who's father ran the Peacekeepers back in 8 - or Slaier Bronston, who was from District 5. They were all 16, like me, but unlike my friends. They only spoke of war and when they'd get to fight in it. They most definatly werent capitolites.

I sighed, counting 23 people including me, and started to stretch. I'd been here for half an hour already. I dont know how long others had been here. Water and Rhanona had left me to wallow when they realized I didnt wanna talk, and had gone over to mess with Ashton - their favorite past time. I had just stood when there was a squeal where the gate opened. I turned quickly and grinned.

"MICKIE SNOW!! YOU RASCAL!" I grinned and let my best friend leap into a hug. She was toting her favorite purse, complete with her favorite outfit. I touched her dirty blonde hair and grinned. Anastasia Templesmith was the neice of Claudius, the announcer. And she was just as outgoing as he.

"Ana!" I squealed back, ignoring the stares of the people on stage and of my fellow penned up children. I pulled her into an unoccupied space and she began dishing on where she'd been for the passed five months, when the fighting got really bad.

"Omg, Mickie, it was awful, my dad thought we'd be picked out - since Claudius is my uncle an' all, so he had us relocate to District 11!" I showed a shocked face. 11 was like 12, but worse. Everyone knew it. "He made us dress up and arrive like refugees from District 10. It was easy to blend in, with my acting abilities," she threw me a grin and I laughed. "So we lived there, and then when we heard about the Capitol invasion, my dad was like 'Omg, Claudius' so we had to come back to get uncle. But we couldnt get back out so Mom had us hide out in the old house. Just a few hours ago this rebel guy - cute btw," she winked. "came and got us. I was brought here."

"Where is here?" came a sardonic laugh. We both glanced up at Snake, who was standing a yard away. He surpassed us easily in height, a whole 6 foot 8 inches tall. I had to look up at him.

That's when there was an applause coming from the stage and a bunch of soldiers led us out.

i was blinded by lights for a minute until realize we were surrounded by people. There was a section of the remaining Capitolites off to the side, half-heartedly cheering, but the rest were straight off the street rebels. Their mismatched clothes showed that. I gapped at it for a moment before some soldiers began seperating us by gender, and then by age.

Off to the side stood a bunch of people, some grinning, some looking sorry for us. Then I noticed a jar of paper. Then the grinning Plutarch Heavensbee. I choked on air and doubled over. Ana bent over me, asking me what was wrong. The studio had gone quiet. Everyone was looking at me. I whispered.

Ana didnt hear me, trying to get me straight up. This time a rebel dressed in capitol clothing approached me, holding a microphone to my lips.

"It's the 76th Hunger Games, Ana. We're all gonna die," it sounded much more morbid in my head. But it was enough for the crowd to burst into cheering and clapping. And it was more than enough to get the little girls to start crying. Water and Rhanona hugged each other, tears leaking. Ashton bowed his head. Herc started wailing, which combined with Clayre, Eevaline, and Rose's own shouts. I watched as Anastasia fell to the floor silently weeping. I caught my breath and stood up, fully. Around me, a little under half the children who were penned up with me were crying.

I felt my own tears, but refused to back down to the cheers of the District residents who wanted their revenge.

I glanced to the side of the stage to see a bunch of people arguing, with Commander Paylor frowning. Eventually she waved her hand and a few people looked very mad. The rest looked overjoyed. Haymitch Abernathy was the first one to step out next to Plutarch.

But Plutarch was the one who spoke. "Ladies and Gentlemen, these games are going to be a little different!"

Cheers, wails, silence.

"Because these children have no district, they should get no mentors," cheers. "However," booes,"Due to some more excitement, many people have volunteered. But because they dont have district numbers, we've decided to randomly let the mentors choose numbers. Then we will go in numerical order. They will pick their tribute."

Cheers, wails. Beside me, Shia shook his head, giving me this torn look. We've known each other for years. I dont want to fight him. "Guess it's dodgeball, right Mickie?" He shrugged. "I was always picked last."

I gave a small chuckle, it was dark, and Ana looked up at me. That's when I saw her and realized she would be dead. I dropped to my knees and held her, petting her silky smooth hair. I cooed to her, whispering that it would be okay. The audience quieted and then there was a chorus of 'aww's and I turned to glare at them.

They were totally as bad as we were.

The mentors each took a slip of paper when Plutarch called them up. I only recognized a handful, Peeta Mellark, Beetee, Enobaria, Effie Trinket, Annie Cresta, and Gale Hawthorne, all from the games. Then there was Fulvia Cardew - from the TV - Lindell Emerson, Kyra Jazek, and Aden Youngblood - from the kitchen. They had been our workers. But they turned and gave the Rebels our information. They were traitors.

The District 2 rebellion leader was first to pick. I could tell by his hard muscles and grinning face he wanted to win. So there goes Snake Jennings. Obvious.

Beetee had a soft face and picked little Ashton. Peeta followed this mercy and picked Water.

Again there was another bad man, large, mean faced. He picked Walter - I found out his name was - Eadenwell.

There was a ragged looking old woman who came next. I slightly remembered her, but she kindly picked Satose - probably thinking he was some meek little boy.

Effie Trinket, obviously still Capitol in all senses, wanted to win and so she picked the first girl who seemed capable enough, Brenanna.

The next two, Kyra and Annie Cresta, were kind. I knew Kyra was nice, but had shunned her repeatedly when I found out she gave the rebels informacion. Kyra picked Xander and Annie picked Rhanona.

Then came a string of people who either wanted revenge or the glory of winning.

Erastus Arroyo, a man I knew to be come kind of commander, picked Plaite. Ike Yarbrough, the leader from District 5, picked Licorice. He was grinning. Maybe he thought being old meant being smart. Haha. Kadeem Marshburn - District 8's leader - chose Kaulke. And Enobaria picked Fara.

Then came one mercy killing by a former prisoner; she picked Herc.

Sullican Seea, a rebel commander from District 3, picked Porter.

Aden, being kind, like I knew him, picked Clayre.

Birtie, the leader from 7, picked Princilla.

Lindell, knowing Anastasia, picked my best friend. I helped the little blonde stand and passed her onto my once chef turned enemy. Lindell gave me a smile, but I turned my head and glared at the audience. Shia moved so we were standing right next to each other. His hand on the small of my back. I felt comforted.

Three more were selfish. Blake, another man who was imprisoned, picked Satin. Fulvia picked Shia - He gave me a sad look before taking steps towards our doom.Alf Scur-something , a leader from 9, picked Minke.

There were only three of us left at this point, Me, Eevaline, and Slaier. Slaier was fumming by now. He had been passed over numerous times for weeping children. Eevaline was too far gone by now to care. And then me.

The President's granddaughter. Obviously not going to make it very far because everyone will take their pain out on her. Besides, she's been pampered. She's to dumb to do anything in any type of arena. She'll die and I wont get glory.

That's what the last three were probably thinking. Zale Voss and Dovie Ausec - both from 11 - and Hawthorne. I didnt know what order they were choosing in. Zale picked Eevaline and she was sent to the back by the others. Slaier was glaring at me, fists balled at his side. Dovie gave me a one over, glaring, teeth slightly bared. Then she picked Slaier.

i was left alone on stage. There was some yelling backstage until a distraught Gale was thrown out next to Haymitch and Plutarch. The crowd cheered when Gale trudged over, grabbed my arm - claiming me as his tribute. We were about to walk off stage when Plutarch grabbed our shoulders.

"That has it for today's Programming. Tune in tomorrow for the chariot rides!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment so I know whether or not you all are out there!