Monday, August 15, 2011

Chapter Nine




"Mickie!" I heard a shout, and stumbled back into reality. My eyes opened and the world was a bit hazy. My name was combined with grumbling, and then silence. I glance up to see Herc, bent over, blood pooling out of him. I then noticed the arrow sticking out from his gut. He was still alive, I saw it in his eyes. And someone had tried killing him. I shoved my foot into Ana's side and she woke with a start - just as another arrow hit Herc in the neck. She let out a scream before standing.

"Ana, get the girls!" I said, grabbing the large carving knife that came with my pack. I stood up, weilding it, ready. I heard Clayre wake up, see Herc, then her shouts and her trampling feet as she ran away. I hoped we would soon find her. I glanced back to see that Ana was motioning for Water and Rhanona to follow the other girl. "Go with them. I'll be there in a minute."

Just as Ana disappeared behind the bushes, I followed them. I only got so far before Snake and Satose arrived on scene.

"It's only Herc," Satose said, somewhat dejectedly. Snake gave a dark chuckle.

"Who cares who it is. One less Capitolite to care about."

"Five down, 18 to -" I watched as a spear was shoved into the 12 year old's chest. His life was snuffed out and I saw Snake's eyes darken as he looked towards the persona responsible.

"What the hell?!"

"Dont like the fact you have one less minion, Snake?" Walter growled, forcefully pulling his weapon of choice from his victim's body. The young boy fell limply to the forest floor, only a yard from Herc - their spreading blood intermingling.

"Watch it, Eadenwell. I'm more than capable to -"

"To what?" Fara asked, leering, appearing at Snake's shoulder. "Xander ran away as soon as you went crazy, Snake. You were chasing after shadows. Looks like your sick role modle behavior doesnt really work out, does it?"

Snake reached for his knife, or something, but fara beat him to the punch. Her hand flashed and slit the young man's neck. I had to cover my mouth to keep the bile from coming up. Snake's cold, dead body fell ontop of Satose. I could hear the crunch of bones as Fara dug her foot into her old allies' back. Then I saw her sickening smile.

"Come on Walter."

Just as they disappeared back the way they came three cannons went off.

I returned to the curious faces of four girls. When they asked me what happened, I gave them a meak smile. "Hey, we're all gonna outlast this thing. You can see it on the television later this month."

They each gave me lousy smiles back before turning to do their own thing. I fell backwards onto the ground next to Ana. We watched as the three other girls started to make a fire. According to Clayre, that was the only thing that made the gamemakers give her a score over one. And really, she did know how to whip up a mean fire. The three had it going within minutes and were leaning into it for warmth. Eventually, the darkness caused the three to fall asleep - for the sun hadnt even risen yet!

Then Ana, eyes sleepy, turned her head towards me. "Do I want to know what happened back there?"

I moved against a tree so she could rest with her head in my lap. She eagerly layed back, eyes closing. She took my reluctance to answer as a sign to be quiet and then fell asleep a few minutes later.

Despite the lesson herc death should have taught us, I couldnt keep my eyes open. I know it would have been brighter for one of us to stay awake, but all this turmoil has caused drowsiness beyond repair. I woke with a start a few hours later.

Three shadows stood above Ana and I. In my tired state, I didnt think before drawing the knife. But as my eyes adjusted to the light I heard a light chuckle.

"Come on now, I thought Shia and i were the only ones digging same sex. I didnt think you and Ana rolled that way!" My eyes lit at the sight of Kaulke, Shia, and Plaite. My jaw dropped. I had completely forgotten about them. The passed three days it's just been me and this motly crew of mine. I jumped up, Ana's head falling from my lap and the blonde woke up. I threw myself into the three. Shia caught me and we were grinning madly as the other four woke up. Water and Rhanona rushed over to us, grinning - as if these three young men provided a small chance of survival for us.

Clayre, though, was slightly more apprehensive. She only approached after I motioned her over. Ana quickly gave me a look before grabbing Shia's hand and dragging him into the forest. i rolled my blue eyes. I never knew she had a thing for him, but hey! We do have a slim chance of surviving to tomorrow, why not jump at a chance to get something.

Plaite looked at me, and I said a curt hello before turning towards Kaulke. He still reminded me of Missikins. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Plaite go to the little girls.

"What have you three been up to?" Kaulke hooked our arms together and lead me to the forest.

"Well.... a whole lot, really. I mean, we took out Fara and her group. Managed to kill a giant boar. Even struck down a Rebel hovercraft."

We both went silent. "So you've been surviving?" I rephrased my question. Kaulke nodded and stopped.

"So... You guys? How've you been faring?" As an answer, my stomach grumbled, making Kaulke laugh and me blush scarlet. "Dont worry, we did manage to snag a deer. The meat is in Plaite's pack." I turned to leave, but he only pulled me back towards him, making me blush harder. "Just stay out here with me for a few more minutes, Mickie."

I nodded, bowing my head, and letting him pull me into a tight hug. a few more minutes, there was Rhanona's cry of, "Clayre's gone!"

I bit my lip before returning to the camp site. In a few seconds, Shia and Ana were there too, looking slightly disheveled. Ana gave me a wink before helping us search. During the hour long search, we foud nothing. But i noted that Kaulke and Plaite didnt seem very interested in finding a fellow tribute. Of course, they've never actually hung out with Clayre ... And neither have I. I only help because she seems close to Water and Rhanona, and Clayre had been in an unstable mental state after Eevaline and Rose's deaths. She could have easily gone to kill herself. But we hadnt heard the cannon yet.

we called off our search. Shia and Kaulke went hunting for a few hours while Ana, Plaite, the two girls, and I stayed back and tried to sort through the layout of the arena, and what the gamemakers had in mind.

So far, nothing extraordinary had happened. No clock thing, like last year. And no mutts, so far. Unless those pigs that hurt Eevaline and Rose had been mutts...but then there would have been more, and herc and clayre definatly wouldnt have had come out unscathed. There hadnt been any pods that blew up. I thought for sure that the rebels would add pods to their little Capitol Center scene, but none exploded that first day. And there had been no unsual happenings. We were confused. But we stopped talking around four, only to make a fire and to cook the remaining deer meat. Shia and Kaulke reappeared around then, with nothing to show for their hours worth of hunting.

We settled for the night when a cannon went off. I knew in my heart that it was Clayre. Ana consoled the two 12 year olds and I sat inbetween Kaulke and Shia.

Two hours later the rebel's anthem played, consisting of a few lines taken directly from Katniss singing to Rue. They had played it both nights before, but I hadnt really been listening. Plaite stoked the fire as Herc face appeared in the sky. Satose, and then Snake followed. Finally, Clayre, her sweet face, showed up in the sky. Water and Rhanona had to look away.

We slept that night away.

The next day was uneventful. And at night it appeared that Brenanna and Walter had died.

Right away, early in the morning, a loud cannon woke us up. We quickly established it wasnt one of us and went about our normal mourning. A few hours later, another cannon, and a few minutes after that, another. This was turning out to be a fantastic day.

Around one in the afternoon Kaulke dragged me away, smirking. I protested, fake calling for help. Shia only gave me a knowing look before starting a conversation with Water and Ana - Rhanona was still asleep.

As soon as we were far enough away from the others Kaulke pulled me down to the ground, so we were sitting against a large tree trunk. "Wanna pull a Peeta?"

"What?" I asked, laughing.

"Wanna make-out, say we love each other, and then piss off the Rebels?"

"Totally," I said, grinning. I completely forgot about the thousands of viewers watching us right now. Maybe there was a battle going on and that was more interesting.

Kaulke ran a hand through his messy black hair before giving me a huge grin. He pulled my head into his by the back of me neck and our lips touched. To me it felt as real as kissing an apple, but it was fun. Slowly, he moved me so I was laying under him, toying with his belt.

"You know, Shia told me about that night..." I could feel his smirk as i felt my face light up.

"So?" I snapped, suddenly totally not turned on.

Kaulke laughed, pulling me back into him. "I wouldnt have been such a gentleman. I know a gift from God when i see it."

I blushed again, his compliment bringing me back into his little web. But suddenly a parachute fell next to my head. Kaulke and I both looked at it.

"I think it might be a love letter from Marshburn," Kaulke whispered, suddenly pale - which was hard because he was, like, naturally tanned or something.

"Probably, Hawthorne would never get me anything," so i tossed the package to my friend and he turned away to open it. I heard his groan of dissatisfation and giggled as he tossed a flower on the ground before turning back to me. He leaned in towards me neck and started nibbling. "What was it?"

"Just a dumb rose or something," he muttered. I smiled, glancing over. I know roses, my grandfather had been a fan of them, so when i laid my eyes on a pink primrose I thought nothing of it. Until my last conversation with Gale popped into my head.

"I'd be careful who to trust out there, Snow."


"I've known most these kids my entire life, they wouldnt hurt me, or anyone."


"You've known them in some pampered little world of yours, not in survival situations. Be careful, and win. I want to go down in history as the last ever winning mentor."


"You'll already go down in history, as the rebel who killed all those Capitol children and medical teams. And Primrose Everdeen."


"Have fun, Mickie. I hear dying is great."

I scrambled out from under Kaulke and he gave me an angry look. I quickly picked up the rose, glancing to where the hovercar disappeared to. This had to be for me, as a reminder of out last conversation. He had sent it to me when the boys appeared.

I heard a scream, then a cannon.

I looked towards Kaulke, and he was white with fury. He reached into his back pocket and turned a dagger towards me. I looked at him accusingly.

"What's this?"

"He wasnt supposed to kill anyone until I laid you. God damit Plaite. Skrew me over, yeah, thanks," Kaulke stopped talking to himself and glared at me. I was now scared. Just moments ago I was ready for him to take my...

"Why?"

"They're not gonna let you or your friends survive, obviously. You're too much of a risk." I've been hearing that a lot lately, but I didnt want to stick around. So I sprinted off, hearing his knife thud into the tree behind me. I made it just in time to see Plaite fall to the ground, dead. There was a cannon boom. Shia ran off into the trees. I had seconds to pull out my own knife before Kaulke pounded into the clearing.

"I was really looking forward to that little romp back there, Mickie," Kaulke took aim at me, but then switched it towards Ana, who was hugging one of the girls, I couldnt tell who. Suddenly, animal instinct took over and I drew my arm back. I was quicker than him and the dagger struck him in the forhead.

I walked over to retreive my weapon, muttering, "Fuck you," in the process. Ana looked up when I walked back over, my shirt bloodied. That's when I noticed Rhanona, sweet little Rhanona lying on the ground, an arrow through her chest. I took over comforting Water and cooed her. We stayed like that the remainder of the night, only pausing to watch as the six faces of those who died. I noticed Princilla's face among Slaier, Satin, Plaite, Kaulke, and Rhamona's faces.

I liked Princilla. I was ready to ask her to join Ana and I after I saw Slaier and Satin hadnt included her in their group. I liked the brunette. She was quiet and thoughtful, just the great addition to Ana and I. But I was occupied with Snake, and when Ana and I were finally together, she was gone. I sighed.

"Sixteen down, seven to go," I mumbled, half to myself, half to Ana. She just gave me this terrified look, nodding.

"Only seven of us left..."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment so I know whether or not you all are out there!