Monday, August 15, 2011

Chapter Seven





I was stunned speechless. Marek had drawn me a bath and when I finished hadnt let me leave the bathroom. He spent extra long on my nails, making sure they were the regulation length (the Games didnt want anybody having weapongs right away, nails are sharp.) They were polished. Toe nails too. He handed me a sports bra and a pair of boyshorts. When I opened the door, he quickly pulled me back in, combing out my long hair so that it was straight before pulling it back into a tight braid.

About an hour after they started, I finally came out of the bathroom.

And I was amazed.

On my bed lay my arena clothes. I had watched every single reruns of the Games. Never once was an outfit copied even a little. And I knew Nicolli hadnt run out of ideas. She wanted revenge. And she was using me to take it out on.

I was quiet as she pulled the long-sleeved light green shirt on over my head. I slipped the tawny colored skinny jeans on over my legs, and Marek quickly looped a brown belt around my waist, securing the pants. Nicolli pulled warm woolen socks over my feet and was quick to put on the boots which was comfortable. When i stood, she handed me a thin black jacket. I quickly threw it on. And there we stood, Nicolle, Marek, and I.

"I thought you hated me. Why are you helping me?"

"I never hated you," Nicolli maternally rubbed my cheek before turning away. "The Rebels took away my home. they took away my friends, so lets show them, okay?"

I nodded and turned to Marek, who merely grinned. If they turned to question these too, Marek will give Nicolli away, I know. But he knew what I meant to other Capitolites, he wouldnt do anything to harm me.

"I dont have a token... And I'm not wearing a mockingjay..." I turned to find something when the door opened. The stong scent of rose entered the room and I turned to find an Avox holding a small, white rose. I looked up at the sad woman before Nicolli grabbed it and pinned it too my chest.

"Is this from his garden?"

Nicolli nodded, and I was suddenly overwhelmed. I thought they destroyed the flowers. Apparently not. I wanted to ask where it was from in the nursery - for my grandfather was growing many different types. there were his perfumed ones, ones that lived for years even after being cut, some that grew in water. He was a real rose afisionado. But I didnt want to know if this rose would die on me. I wanted to be surprised.

I took a deep breath before walking to the door. My prep team was behind me as we took our final steps out of this tower.

When Gale saw me, his face turned red and his fists clenched. I'm not sure if it was because I resembled his lost love, or because I was for sure going against the Rebels. But he ripped the rose from my shirt and threw it to the ground. "Stop it!" He was about to stomp on it when I barrled into his side. He went to the ground, wrestling my for a second before overpowering me.

"You're NOT wearing that into the arena. It's suicide."

"Anything I can do to piss you people off, the better," I hissed. Marek quickly came to my rescue, pulling Gale off of me. Nicolli returned my rose, pinning it back in it's place. My prep team formed a physical barrier between me and my mentor as we went down the elevator. And then even as we rode to the arena in a blackedout car. We arrived, and all crowded into my send-off room. Behind me was the platform that would raise me into the arena, but I stayed faced away as Nicolli and Marek fixed my hair, and then my token. I gave them both giant hugs before they left me and Gale.

"I'd be careful who to trust out there, Snow," he said stoicly.

"I've known most these kids my entire life, they wouldnt hurt me, or anyone."

"You've known them in some pampered little world of yours, not in survival situations. Be careful, and win. I want to go down in history as the last ever winning mentor."

I sneered. I had one last piece of information on the boy that I had never used. My grandfather told me on our last day together. Word came from District 13 itself. "You'll already go down in history, as the rebel who killed all those Capitol children and medical teams. And Primrose Everdeen."

I stepped onto the platform. Gale's jaw was clenched, "Have fun, Mickie. I hear dying is great."

I glared at him as the thing rose. I had half a mind to flick him off, but I turned to face the oncoming arena.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment so I know whether or not you all are out there!